The Chess Shot The Chess Shot

But... but the pawn was NEXT to him! I'm no chess expert, but I don't think that's a checkmate.

Surprise Counter Surprise Counter

There's a lot of good things to be said about this flash. The art is certainly there, and the animation is not lazy. For example, at 00:37, you can really feel the weight behind the girl's punch. It's comical, and the animesque style didn't put me off. Yeah, it was slow, but there's nothing wrong with pacing (as long as the pacing pays off with a girl rocket launching some guy). Sounds are nice too, the music's fitting, lots of work evidently went into this. It does what it's trying to do nicely, and it just goes to show at the end that girls be crazy.

TOME: Nylocke's Day Off TOME: Nylocke's Day Off

Too bad to hear that Tome's going to be slowing down for now, but I guess we all saw that coming. The animation here was mostly just still pictures, though that was fine I suppose. CardGames' voice acting was good enough to help me look over most of the problems with this. Good flash as always.

Earth Taken Earth Taken

This was the funnest game I've played for a while

I was also one of the most poorly made

Let me explain:

The gas mask feature was utterly wasted. Never once did I need to worry about changing my mask. I get that you want to be like Metro 2033 but this isn't the way to do it

The controls were crazy clunky and stuck on me multiple times

Bunny hopping to places is faster than walking (which is a big no-no nowadays)

I didn't like the art style

Regardless, I enjoyed the game, it was very fun and refreshing, fills me with hope that newgrounds isn't quite so dead yet

SeethingSwarm responds:

Thanks! Glad you liked the game :)

The reason why the controls seemed clunky to you and why they get stuck is not because of the game itself. It's because Flash player is struggling to keep up. Flash games are surprisingly demanding on your computer, especially nowadays that many game developers like me are pushing its limits. Try not to have too many programs running at the same time while playing and having other tabs open can also greatly decrease performance. Sorry this happened to you.

The gas mask feature is a bit tricky. I've gotten similar feedback from others about the redundancy of the gas masks, as well as quite a bit of feedback from people stating that they are really struggling with having enough gas masks and that they think the gas mask filters do not last long enough. I tried to balance it as best as I could and it seems like I did a good job for most people, but I'll keep this in mind.

Sorry you didn't like the art style or the bunny hopping :P

Thanks for the feedback and the nice score! :)

Cool Story Bro Cool Story Bro

The first thing I noticed about this game was how it made me stop every time it had something to say. The second thing I noticed was that it would be, for the most part, an action choose your own adventure, which don't work. I'll explain why they don't work: A CYOA is not about having two choices, one of them continuing the story and one of them killing you. It's about making choices other than that. I don't want to be punished for trying to jump, and only then figure out that I was in an anti-gravity field. There was no way I could have known that!

Look at the game "Stealing the Diamond" for an example of an "action" choose your own adventure done right. When you die, you jump right back into the action, and you aren't punished for failure because each failure allows you to see a new result.

Here's an example of a choice I'd like to make: "You see a man lying on the floor, groaning in pain. Surrounding him are fifteen imps, closing in quickly. What do you do?"

As opposed to "go left or right?" without any indication of where they lead. If I go join the evil guy, why not make a path where I go around being evil?

I didn't like the art, but it wasn't bad. It was perfectly serviceable, and the aesthetic was alright. Pixels are good occasionally, and they were a fine choice here, but I would have preferred a different style.

I'm being harsh here. I think its because I absolutely love choose your own adventures and I've been waiting my entire life for a good flash game that properly captures its theme. One with dozens of multiple branching paths of vastly different variety. This game is not that. But it's close.

While playing a game like this, I want to feel as if there are so many choices I could never possibly explore them all. With this, I felt like there were just a few optional branches to choose from. It's a good little game, but not one I especially enjoyed. With a few tweaks though it could easily become my favorite game ever. As it stands, its an interesting time waster.

jdproductions321 responds:

Hey, thanks a lot for the review!

I get where you're coming from in most the stuff you said, and I'd love to make those fixes happen.

The problem is I am the only one working on this project. I did the game design, programming, art, animation, and sound design myself. I would love to put in LOTS more paths and choices, but as a college student who needed to get this done for school, I simply didn't have time. I more or less wanted to show what I was capable of making. If I get the resources in the future I will definitely try to make the more well rounded game you described.

Btw, since you said you like choose your own adventure games, you may want to play my other game :3 It may have more of what you're looking for ;)

WorldBox WorldBox

Let's be honest here, the reason people play these sorts of games is mainly to torture innocents. We'll get board if you only let us torture them one way. Sure, we can drown them, incase them in rock, or shove so many of them into a small expanse that they starve to death, and that's great, don't get me wrong. But think bigger. In your next updates, I'd like to see war. I'd like to be able to throw in some dinosaurs, maybe a Cthulu here and there, and terrorize the townsfolk.

Oh, and I suppose you can add some things for the types of people that maybe don't like those things. Things like having them advance into a space age society and move to other planets. Or start making shrines to worship and/or taunt you. If they're running out of food, let us spam farms like madmen. Or, if we'd rather see if they can get themselves out of their situation, instead of letting God take care of all of their problems, we could throw some raptors in there and make their lives a tad more difficult.

How about after we get board of that space age society, and we blow it up, relics of their society are left over on their earth? Then, if we decide to make another few villages, they can find those relics and use them to advance quicker?

I think this is a great idea. Sure, it's been done to death, but not in this nice, pixel style. I'll spitball some more ideas for future versions. I had to give this a low score though, because its simply not finished. I'd love to give it 4 stars just for the idea and its sheer potential, and I will if you make it better, but as it stands, this game is simply not complete. And this isn't really the place for incomplete games.

If you end up adding a bunch of features to this game, I'd love to see a notification tab. Something like "The People of Planet A are at war with Planet B!' or "Village C is heartbroken over the tragic meteorite strike over Village D, the sorrowful random flood of Village E, and the complete annihilation through fire of Village E."

Well, I don't know about you, but that's what my tab would look like.

Conclusion: Good work, but currently there's just not enough here to constitute a full game.

Candyland Candyland

RAINBOWS HAVE BEEN FORCED DOWN MY MOUTH

AND THEY TASTE SO GOOD!
Nice art, a little too simplistic for my taste, but bright and colorful anyways.

Pluto's Revenge Pluto's Revenge

Huh

This is one of my favorite art, but I just realized you want James Rolfe to direct the movie? XD