WHAT IS LIFE??? WHAT IS LIFE???

First off, good animation. Obviously you know that it's rough but you clearly put a LOT of effort into it and that shows. For such a long animation you chose good techniques to make the process of animating more bearable for yourself, but I also noticed those techniques right away (when I saw the old man talking I was like yup he's definitely not moving out of that position for a while)

I think you should have gotten a voice actor for one of the guys. The accent was fine but when the white-looking dude has the accent it tips me off that the voice acting is all done by one dude. The lines were decently delivered, though a little stilted sometimes.

I think what you'll see a lot of is people taking issue with the arguments because they're religious or whatever. A good way to circumvent that is by having more counterarguments emerge that draw what the old man is saying into question. Even if he rebukes all of the pints perfectly the religious side will still feel like they've had their argument heard (it also doesn't help that the conclusion seems to imply that the old man is genuinely correct in believing in god)

I guess what I'm saying is there is a line between where the audience knows that they're listening to a character and where they know they're listening to the creator of the character. We could tell pretty early on that the old man was a self-insert for your ideas, plus a bit of drunkeness. Nobody likes to feel "preached" at, so more characterization of the old man would be good.

I liked the jokes at the end, they were kind of stilted but I got what you were going for. Very much like that the old man was fucking with the business man, fits with the theme of the animation nicely. Keep it up my dude.

OblitusCS responds:

Thanks a lot man! haha yeah you are right, I was planning to make them swap between at least 3 poses, but I don't know why I didn't do it.
Good point about the voices, I will definetly use some other voice actors in the future, but is to early for me, at the moment I'm focusing on improving my work as a whole. I've been learning to animate only by watching some youtube tutorials and at the same time trying to figure out how to write and act, so I have a long way ahead of me, I'm taking it slow.
As for story discussion you are absolutely right, I'll keep it in mind. I didn't want it it to be like it was me, thats why I chose the old drunk, but I see what you are saying too.
One last thing, the ending of the animation (God showing up) is a reference to an other animation of mine, the idea is that is happening in the same universe. Please,if you have the time check it out, I would love to hear your thoughts on that one, its on my channel, called OH MY GOD.
Well that's it man, thanks again for taking the time to letting me know all this, I really apreciate it.
Promise I'll get better, best of luck!

The Chess Shot The Chess Shot

But... but the pawn was NEXT to him! I'm no chess expert, but I don't think that's a checkmate.

Surprise Counter - Episode 1 Surprise Counter - Episode 1

There's a lot of good things to be said about this flash. The art is certainly there, and the animation is not lazy. For example, at 00:37, you can really feel the weight behind the girl's punch. It's comical, and the animesque style didn't put me off. Yeah, it was slow, but there's nothing wrong with pacing (as long as the pacing pays off with a girl rocket launching some guy). Sounds are nice too, the music's fitting, lots of work evidently went into this. It does what it's trying to do nicely, and it just goes to show at the end that girls be crazy.

I woke up next to you again. I woke up next to you again.

Sharpnova's review was one of the dumbest I've seen, this was great. I did get a WebGL error on my first playthrough after selecting "I've got to go" though.

zephyo responds:

Same I was so confused. Thank you and thanks for letting me know.

Earth Taken Earth Taken

This was the funnest game I've played for a while

I was also one of the most poorly made

Let me explain:

The gas mask feature was utterly wasted. Never once did I need to worry about changing my mask. I get that you want to be like Metro 2033 but this isn't the way to do it

The controls were crazy clunky and stuck on me multiple times

Bunny hopping to places is faster than walking (which is a big no-no nowadays)

I didn't like the art style

Regardless, I enjoyed the game, it was very fun and refreshing, fills me with hope that newgrounds isn't quite so dead yet

SeethingSwarm responds:

Thanks! Glad you liked the game :)

The reason why the controls seemed clunky to you and why they get stuck is not because of the game itself. It's because Flash player is struggling to keep up. Flash games are surprisingly demanding on your computer, especially nowadays that many game developers like me are pushing its limits. Try not to have too many programs running at the same time while playing and having other tabs open can also greatly decrease performance. Sorry this happened to you.

The gas mask feature is a bit tricky. I've gotten similar feedback from others about the redundancy of the gas masks, as well as quite a bit of feedback from people stating that they are really struggling with having enough gas masks and that they think the gas mask filters do not last long enough. I tried to balance it as best as I could and it seems like I did a good job for most people, but I'll keep this in mind.

Sorry you didn't like the art style or the bunny hopping :P

Thanks for the feedback and the nice score! :)

Cool Story Bro Cool Story Bro

The first thing I noticed about this game was how it made me stop every time it had something to say. The second thing I noticed was that it would be, for the most part, an action choose your own adventure, which don't work. I'll explain why they don't work: A CYOA is not about having two choices, one of them continuing the story and one of them killing you. It's about making choices other than that. I don't want to be punished for trying to jump, and only then figure out that I was in an anti-gravity field. There was no way I could have known that!

Look at the game "Stealing the Diamond" for an example of an "action" choose your own adventure done right. When you die, you jump right back into the action, and you aren't punished for failure because each failure allows you to see a new result.

Here's an example of a choice I'd like to make: "You see a man lying on the floor, groaning in pain. Surrounding him are fifteen imps, closing in quickly. What do you do?"

As opposed to "go left or right?" without any indication of where they lead. If I go join the evil guy, why not make a path where I go around being evil?

I didn't like the art, but it wasn't bad. It was perfectly serviceable, and the aesthetic was alright. Pixels are good occasionally, and they were a fine choice here, but I would have preferred a different style.

I'm being harsh here. I think its because I absolutely love choose your own adventures and I've been waiting my entire life for a good flash game that properly captures its theme. One with dozens of multiple branching paths of vastly different variety. This game is not that. But it's close.

While playing a game like this, I want to feel as if there are so many choices I could never possibly explore them all. With this, I felt like there were just a few optional branches to choose from. It's a good little game, but not one I especially enjoyed. With a few tweaks though it could easily become my favorite game ever. As it stands, its an interesting time waster.

jdproductions321 responds:

Hey, thanks a lot for the review!

I get where you're coming from in most the stuff you said, and I'd love to make those fixes happen.

The problem is I am the only one working on this project. I did the game design, programming, art, animation, and sound design myself. I would love to put in LOTS more paths and choices, but as a college student who needed to get this done for school, I simply didn't have time. I more or less wanted to show what I was capable of making. If I get the resources in the future I will definitely try to make the more well rounded game you described.

Btw, since you said you like choose your own adventure games, you may want to play my other game :3 It may have more of what you're looking for ;)

Candyland Candyland

RAINBOWS HAVE BEEN FORCED DOWN MY MOUTH

AND THEY TASTE SO GOOD!
Nice art, a little too simplistic for my taste, but bright and colorful anyways.

Pluto's Revenge Pluto's Revenge

Huh

This is one of my favorite art, but I just realized you want James Rolfe to direct the movie? XD